Sunday 16 February 2014

Jeremiah1: 3-10





I used to be scared of destiny.

I often think of free will as something of an illusion.

How can an Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent God have us and THEN give us free will?

A point of clarification, then... how do you define free will?

Most of you would instinctively think, "the ability to be able to think and do at my own discretion" as a perfect way to describe the term.

Jer1:3-10 describes of how the Lord had planned Jeremiah's path from the start. It opens v5 with:

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

This reading is basically, "You have been chosen since birth. I have already pre-appointed your destiny."

I remember once, sparking a debate in the university car pool, by saying that we have free will. Having two pre-law students in the car made for an interesting car ride. Who won the debate? I did, of course.. I was driving... and I told them it was my free will that prevented me from driving them into a ditch."
Just concede the point and I'll put it in reverse

The tricky nature of free will is that everyone has an opinion of ownership over it, yet the consequences of their own decision is something they would rather not know. People shy away from it due to the horrible nature of not being able to make your own decisions... that feeling of impotence as your future is decided for you.

This is where a good knowledge of the Lord's deity and His sovereign Will comes in handy.

Personally, I have always felt "called" to do God's work. It is not in my nature to be so subservient, though so I rebelled till I was 17 years old. God's calling was never simple or easy, for me. I always saw the prospect of "doing God's Will" as a cop-out for losers who can't make it in their chosen industry or profession.

Oh, you are waiting for God's Will, huh?
Yet as personal development goes, as I grew in my faith of the Lord, the more my calling became clear. My servitude to the Creator of the universe came from my love of Him and my love of His people.

Don't get me wrong, I still think have those moments of doubt (heck, if you were in my shoes you'd probably have them too) but somehow, despite all anxious logic, I press on.

What I know about free will? God will mold and develop you into the person you need to be, for you to take up the mantle.

My initial reluctance has turned into desire. My avoidance has turned into a yearning for Him.

I can honestly say, in my free will, I am making decisions in line with what the Lord of Lords wants my life to do.

I still believe I have free will. My priorities have just grown up. I still make my own decisions, it is just the consequences of the actions I take not only affect me, but about 80 kids too.

I have free will because I have let myself be "enslaved" by the emancipation from my selfishness, and re-focused my efforts on others.

My fear of destiny has now become an impatient wait for 7 more days till I step onto Philippine Soil.

Still doubt my volition?

Call me a zombie, and I'll show you my free will by punching you in the throat... with the love of Jesus of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment